Monday, March 15, 2010

A New Beginning

So, with the 23 Things behind me, I think the next goal is to transform this blog. I still want to share some of the wonderful things I'm learning here at Austin Peay and I can't think of a better way to do it. Let's start with this quote: "The British are coming! The British are coming!" Now how many of you have heard that line before? I know I have, maybe every year in one history class or another. I hate to break the news to you though. This supposed famous line by Paul Revere is anything but true. In 1775, the people of America still thought they were British. They were just having the beginning ideas of independence. So, the actual quote by Paul Revere was this: "The Regulars are out!" I just finished reading Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fischer. If any of you are history lovers, you should definitely check this out. Another misconception is that Revere was a solitary midnight rider. Many think he rode through the streets alone to warn hundreds of people about the British invasion. Again, this is not all true. Although Revere was a key factor in warning the people, it was more of a collaborative effort. There were dozens of riders who galloped through the night to warn the surrounding towns of attack. I'm so happy that I know the truth now behind this legendary man. They say that you learn something new every day. So for today, here it is ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment